We have heard from nurses working in various departments, in regard to recent practices such as furloughs, low censusing, hourly reductions, benefit accruals, and more. Concerns have been voiced regarding RNs being told varying information and/or contract concerns. In an effort to clarify any misconceptions, your local WSNA officers met with the CNO Jeannie Eylar along with nursing management on Monday May 4. We would like to share with you some clarifying information.
- As of Monday May 4, nurses who are furloughing will be allowed to draw from their sick time (versus annual leave) to cover expenses such as medical insurance. RNs may also choose to continue drawing from their annual leave if they prefer.
- Mandatory low census caps according to our contract continue to apply. Nursing management is keeping track of low census. Low census hours marked as “voluntary” will still count towards mandatory caps.
- Profiled part-time and full-time nurses will be given priority for working available shifts. PRN nurses may be used to cover holes that profiled nurses choose not to work, to keep a profiled nurse out of overtime status, or to cover unwanted call shifts.
- N95 masks are being reprocessed through a Sterrad processor which is FDA approved. This is not a chemical sterilization and does not include Ethylene Oxide, a known carcinogen. If you have more questions about this process, please let us know your questions and/or reach out to your unit director.
- A video is available for nurses who feel that their N95 mask does not fit properly, which demonstrates how to make it fit properly. Please reach out to us and/or your unit director if you would like more information on this.
- Management has stated RNs who have furloughed and or low census will continue to accrue benefits such as paid sick leave and annual leave.
Please reach out to any of your local WSNA officers or your regional representative if you have any questions.
Natalie Walsborn — Chair
Stephanie Macculoch – Co-Chair
Trina Partain – Grievance Officer
Wendy Delzer – Secretary/Treasurer
Debi Bessmer – WSNA Nurse Representative, firstname.lastname@example.org or 1 – 800-231‑8482 ext. 3112